Can't install when Spotify is in WindowsApps

Problem description:
I cannot install Equalify due to write permission issues in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_1.58.573.0_x86__zpdnekdrzrea0 (Even when running installer as admin).
Spotify appears to no longer provide “old school” installers (I used to always install to C:\Program Files\Spotify), or my Appdata folder on my work machine.
Is this new (and apparently only) install mechanism supported? How to proceed?

Operating system:
10 Pro x64 1607

Soundcard:
not relevant

Spotify version
1.58.573.0_x86__zpdnekdrzrea0

Equalify Pro version

Any special software or hardware you might have installed:
ie. Razer Gamebooster or Cortex

I managed to dig up an old installer (http://download.spotify.com/Spotify%20Installer.exe), which I then used to install the latest version, now it runs where I want it to. Excited to hear the difference in audio quality.

I have not heard anything about Spotify removing the normal installers. And from what i’ve been told the WindowsApp version is an addition, not a replacement.

I’m away without a Windows machine to test with until Monday next week, but i’ll be sure to investigate when i get back.

From my small tests it seems that all old links are still valid and that the download links on the Spotify page still directs you to to the normal installer. But without a windows machine i can not test if their auto redirect script has changed when hitting download for Wiindows.

WindowsApp versions of Spotify is not supported at this time due to the permission issue you described above.
The WindowsApps folder is protected in a way that its hard for me to place a file in the Spotify folder, and if i cant do that Equalify will not load/work. This is something i will be looking into in the coming weeks. If i can get around the permission issue in an easy way everything will work as normal.

Anyways glad you got it working!

When I visited spotify.com after a fresh install of Windows 10 (1607) and downloaded the installer, it installed spotify as if it was the Store App. I’m not sure how long that has been going on, because I haven’t been able to find any complaints about it on Google (or people don’t care).
I’ve got Equalify running now and after playing around with it, I quickly found my optimum setting for metal and classical music to fit my speakers. I was almost about to replace them, now I’m keeping them :slight_smile:
Well worth the 15 quid :thumbsup:

1 Like

From my limited testing i can not seem to replicate what happened to you.

On the machines i’ve tested on its downloaded the regular desktop installer when hitting the download button on the Spotify website.
I’ll continue to monitor it though and i’ll see if i can find another reliable way of loading the EQ for the store version.
I already have a couple of experiments that show promise :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.