Another Install Issue

Problem description:
Just noticed equalify wasnt working after spotify updated (it’s been a while since I booted up my desktop) and went to install the newest version of equalify pro from the website (1.4.3) although it seems that there’s a newer version that I can’t find a download for and my old version never prompted me to update. Anyway, I uninstalled the old version and attempted to install 1.4.3 but get hung up on that “An error occurred while trying to rename a file in the destination directory; MoveFile failed; code 5. Access is denied.” for \Spotify\dsound.dll

I’ve read through all the other threads with this issue and tried everything I found. Tried rebooting, doing unreging and reging msiexec, tried running installer as admin, all my permissions are good, tried moving around the installer location, completely uninstalled equalify and spotify and reinstalled several times, I dont have the windows app version of spotify, I tried adding Full access to “Everyone” on both \Local\Temp\ and \Roaming\Spotify\ but got a few “cant enumerate container” errors when attempting on the Temp folder. Not sure if this could suggest anything but I don’t know what else to try, nothing works.

Operating system:
windows 10

Soundcard:
NVIDIA

Spotify version
1.1.8.439.g8502297d

Equalify Pro version

I have a Logitech G430 USB headset, and 5.1 Surround speakers that I toggle between with a program called SoundSwitch (which as far as I understand just maps the process to switch sound devices to a hotkey)

Hey, looks like you have done more than your fair share to try to get it to work.

“An error occurred while trying to rename a file in the destination directory; MoveFile failed; code 5. Access is denied.” for \Spotify\dsound.dll

That should be because the file is already in use(by spotify) - but the installer should shut down spotify if thats the case.

You could just go to the %appdata%/roaming/spotify folder and rename the dsound.dll file to something else, then restart/re-install equalify and it should be fine.

Just noticed equalify wasnt working after spotify updated (it’s been a while since I booted up my desktop)
If the install you had was VERY old, you might have skipped a few updates, at one point the auto updater was changed, and i don’t recall if there was a version or two that would not be auto updated cause of the changes.

When it comes to the latest version, that was just a minor fix so i never made an installer for it, the version that is on the website will pop up an update dialog though.

I have not heard of SoundSwitch before, but all of these kinds of apps have a tendency not to work super well together. There are a few other apps that i assume work the same way as soundswitch and what usually happens is that the first app that launches or gets loaded is the “winner” and the others wont work. And since equalify is loaded by spotify when you play music, its often on the losing end of that race.

I’ve made sure Spotify and all it’s processes have been closed before attempting the installer.

I just noticed that the dsound.dll file doesn’t seem to exist and I checked hidden files for it as well. I reran spotify and the equalify installer and instead of aborting when it hits the dsound.dll error, I chose to skip and there is still no dsound file. I’ve also exited SoundSwitch and retried.

Could you try the legacy installer that is on the website ?
Sounds like there is some permission issues with your appdata, roaming or spotify folders… even after your permission changes.

If that doesn’t work i can upload the dll for you and you can try placing it in the folder manually.

Also an afterthought, what antivirus software do you use?

Thanks for mentioning the antivirus. I forgot that AVG doesn’t like to play well with other programs. I temporarily disabled it and retried the installer and it worked. I now have equalify back up and running woo!

Heh, weird. AVG shouldn’t have an issue with Equalify. Are you sure your AVG is updated ?

Thats the installer package:
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/49c4f2d282648e49e912cbe3f3a49acee7dc4484e4e5278c76bc3ec11d955e4c/detection

And this is the dsound.dll file that is included in that installer:
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/15611be6cf00621f707432a7797d7ec188ae51c1c59ae7d6b4aca663857db4df/detection

So i’m not sure what happened there, but like you said… AVG… :upside_down_face:

Glad you got it to work again though!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.